Well, we think it’s safe to say 2020 was not exactly what everyone had hoped for… The team at Rangers Garage are certainly looking forward to seeing the back of 2020 and fingers crossed for a cheerier 2021!
With all the challenges that this year brought us, normal day to day tasks may have gone by the wayside, including spending time maintaining your vehicle. If this is the case for you, we suggest you make a New Year’s resolution to stay on top of it.
A little bit of TLC will pay off in the long run with the benefits of avoiding bigger problems and hefty bills, maximising the value of your vehicle and ensuring the safety of yourself and your family.
Rangers Garage Durrington near Salisbury has been around for 110 years so we feel we know a thing or two on how best to look after your car. Here are our top 5 New Year’s resolutions to get your vehicle ‘road ready’ and ready for whatever 2021 brings us!
1. Take care of your tyres
Unless you’ve got an obvious problem like a flat tyre or a puncture, tyres can sometimes be overlooked. Car tyres can become damaged and worn for several reasons and it can happen without the driver being aware so knowing the signs of a problem with your tyres is important.
Common problems and things to look out for include:
- Over or under inflation – Over inflated tyres will not perform safely as they cannot grip the road properly. To tell if they are overinflated, have a look at the centre of the tyre to see if it’s particularly worn and if so, let a little air out. You can monitor your tyre pressure and inflate or deflate them accordingly.
- Punctures – Puncture damage is usually the result of road hazards such as broken glass or nails. Although it’s rarely the fault of the driver, you can help by ensuring your tyres are inflated correctly. Punctures can often be repaired without the need for new tyres so go to your independent car garage as soon as you notice a problem.
- Misalignment – If you notice more wear on one side of your tyre, it may be misaligned. A misaligned tyre should be checked out and possibly refitted or replaced by an expert.
- Cracks and bulges – These can occur from hitting a kerb or pothole which can cause cracks in the sidewall of the tyre. Cracking can also indicate that the tyre is old and may need replacing in any case.
- General wear – This will happen with any tyre over time. It’s important to monitor your tyre tread depth regularly as it is a legal requirement for the depth not to fall below 1.6mm. At our car garage in Durrington, we recommend you don’t wait till it reaches this minimum level as it will affect the performance and safety of your vehicle.
If you’re not sure whether your tyres have a problem and would like a professional to check them out, pop into Rangers Garage! We are the largest tyre dealer in the area and stock a range of tyre sizes and makes, including tyres for 4x4s and dirt bikes. We also have a handy tyre checker tool on our website.
2. Keep your car clean
For some of you, keeping your car clean comes naturally, but for the rest of us, it can be a chore that we don’t enjoy. Not only is it nicer for you and your passengers to sit in a clean vehicle, but it also has its safety benefits. Ensuring your windscreen, back window and mirrors are clean is important for clear visibility. By cleaning and waxing your car often, you are also keeping the paintwork in good shape as natural deposits of dirt and salt can corrode the body of your vehicle over time.
We suggest making a New Year’s resolution to have a regular cleaning plan in place, whether you do it yourself or take it to a professional car cleaning company.
3. Don’t neglect general maintenance
If you were lax about making regular maintenance appointments for your vehicle in 2020 (not entirely your fault due to the pandemic), your first New Year’s resolution should be to call your independent car garage. We know that being on top of car maintenance can be a pain, but when you don’t keep up with it, bigger problems can arise and it may land you with a big bill!
4. Drive safely
We’re all probably guilty of a few bad driving habits that we know deep down can be dangerous. Let’s make 2021 the year that you nip them in the bud! One of the big ‘no no’s’ in using your mobile phone whilst driving. Do NOT text, write emails or play games on your mobile phone whilst driving.
If you must make a call, either use hands free or better still, pull over. Other driving dangers include exceeding the speed limit, driving when tired or being distracted, so try to eliminate these as part of the New Year’s resolution.
5. Regularly visit your local car garage
One of the biggest driving dangers can be using a vehicle that has been poorly maintained and therefore likely to have some safety issues.
We recommend you visit a professional independent garage to check your car regularly. Whether it’s to replace your tyres, fix that funny noise that’s been driving you mad all year or to check your fluid levels, the team at Rangers Garage will be happy to help.
Contact Rangers Garage to book your car in now!
Being a 110 year old family business, we are all ‘petrol heads’ and are extremely passionate about whatever vehicle you drive. By leaving your vehicle with the team at Rangers Garage, you can rest assured that our team will look after all your motoring needs.
Call us now on 01980 65-55-55 to book your vehicle in or ask us a question.