Since our reopening in May, we’ve been lucky enough to be just as busy as ever. Being in business for over 100 years means that we not only have a loyal customer base, but we’ve also got plenty of experience in helping our customers get the best price for vehicle maintenance.
With current economic times being tough, Rangers Garage is aware that it’s now more important than ever to look for the most cost-effective ways to keep your vehicle running. This article highlights 5 easy ways to save money on your vehicle.
Check your tyres
You might have not known, but the type of tyre makes a big difference to durability, and the lowest price doesn’t always mean it’ll save you money. While it might be tempting to go for the cheapest option available, it could end up costing you more in the future. Not only do cheap tyres not perform as well as more expensive tyres (tests show they often increase stopping distance and harm handling), but they may also negatively affect fuel economy and need replacing more regularly.
Our car garage in Salisbury most commonly recommends Falken tyres. With excellent wet performance and a great value price, the Falken Tyre has been rated as the best value by TyreReviews.com who say ‘you gain in savings but don’t sacrifice anything else; this tyre has incredible performance’.
Prepare for your MOT
Regular MOTs are essential to make sure that your vehicle is safe and in working order. However, before your MOT test, it’s always best to check for obvious faults and look to get them fixed beforehand. Not only could this help you pass your MOT first-time, but many small faults are inexpensive to fix, and could even be done at home.
Things to check for include:
- See if your bulbs are all working
- Check the state of your tyres
- Ensure your front and rear windscreen wipers work
- Check to see if your washer bottle contains enough fluid
Fixing these issues, or even being aware of them before your test could help you save money, or ensure you’re not in for a shocker afterwards!
If you’re looking to get your car ready for a late summer trip, read our guide to getting your car ready for summer with Rangers Garage.
Do at-home maintenance
For many years, Rangers Garage has been the choice for people searching for car servicing in Salisbury, and although we’re more than happy to complete a full service at our independent car garage, we’re also glad to offer advice and ideas on simple maintenance tasks you can complete at home. These tasks include:
- Checking your fluids
- Replacing your wiper blades
- Check or recharge your car battery
- Check tyres and tyre pressure
- Conduct a deep clean
To learn how to do all of these tasks at home, read our guide to completing a simple car safety check at home, or phone our team on 01980 65-55-55.
You’ve probably noticed the so-called ‘premium’ fuels when filling up with petrol or diesel. Retailers claim that these fuels offer performance and economy advantages, whilst cleaning and protecting your engine.
In reality, unless you’re driving a performance vehicle, you’re unlikely to see any improvements by using fuel with a higher petrol rating. You will, however, pay up to 10p a litre more for the privilege.
Other fuel economy tips include:
- Fill your tank to full – Always fill your tank to full each time and drive until it’s empty to get the most out of your tank.
- Shop around for the best prices – It’s often the case that supermarkets are the cheapest. You might even be able to rack up your membership points too.
- Monitor your fuel economy – The way you drive is dependent on how much fuel you use, so if you limit your ‘pedal to the metal’ you’ll benefit from less fuel consumption.
Be more mindful of your car and driving
In our busy, day-to-day lives we can often forget about the little things that could help protect your car in between trips to the garage. Factors like;
- Park away from other cars – To try and avoid accidents, dents and scratches.
- Wash your car yourself – It’ll save you a few extra pennies and ensure that your car remains in great condition.
- Haggle your car insurance – Car insurance can be one of the biggest motoring costs you face annually but you can often get companies to drop the price over the phone.
- Don’t drive up and down curbs – This damages the metal wires in the sidewall of the tyre (and often the alloy wheel itself), and will eventually lead to a puncture.
If you’re looking for more car servicing tips, or further ways to save some money on your car, read more articles on our blog.
Contact the team at Rangers Garage
We hope these tips will help you to save more pennies during these tough economic times and help keep your vehicle running smoother for longer.
If you want to make some changes to improve your vehicle, our experienced team of technicians will be more than happy to book you in for an MOT or car service in Salisbury. Give us a call on 01980 655555 or contact us to speak to our team.
If you want to keep up with the latest news from Rangers Garage, follow our Facebook page.